Monday, June 18, 2012

Coconut Chai Rice Pudding



This creation was a Dogfish Head inspired dessert. I had the pleasure of sampling a Dogfish Head Chai Tea beer. Yes, I said Chai Tea BEER! It was sweet and spicy- much like it's warm, non alcoholic sister. At that moment I thought, "Man, you can chai just about anything."  And then I thought about the Jasmine rice I needed to use up... and the half can of coconut milk I needed to kill and how I had better use some of those cardamom pods before I have to toss them and BAM! Inspiration! Alas, there is no beer in this recipe. Feel free to have one while you're making it, however. I did!







Coconut Chai Rice Pudding
1 1/2 cup uncooked Jasmine rice (Regular long grain rice will be fine... unless I am coming over for dessert, in which case, please use Jasmine)
1 1/2 Cups whole or 2%Milk 
1 Can of Coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp salt
4 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of ground ginger (optional)
pinch of ground cloves (optional)
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp cornstarch
butter
cinnamon/sugar

In a 4qt sauce pot, bring your milk, coconut milk, vanilla, sugar, spices, cardamom and cinnamon stick to a simmer. We want to bring out as much of the chai flavors from the spices as possible.  Be sure to scrape your coconut can of all of the thick goodness and melt it into the pot, as well. Stir in your rice and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat for 20 minutes. Once your rice has softened and the mixture has thickened, give it a taste test and adjust the sweetness. In a measuring cup, combine your half and half and corn starch and add it to the rice. Stir well and let it thicken over medium-low heat until it is creamy. 


Before serving, remove the cinnamon stick and the cardamom pods... if you can? If not, no biggie. Place a few dollops into a serving dish and top with a smidge of butter and cinnamon sugar. It is a chai lovers delight, believe-you-me! 


Enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment