Saturday, December 17, 2011

Part II: Confessions of a Supplement Junkie

I was taking supplements BEFORE Dr. Oz made them mainstream! If you get yourself ANYTHING this holiday season, and your New Years resolution happens to be dropping a few pounds, think about purchasing some supplements.  They helped me lose nearly 50lbs. 

*First, read part I*

**New game changing supplement blog for meaner, sweatier workouts!**

After my blood work, Dr. Pagan noticed that I was deficient in a few categories. He told me that human bodies CRAVE nutrients and will seek them out... which explains those weird, last minute, night time cravings. Unfortunately, our body doesn't specifically ask for these nutrients and we eat whatever looks tasty in the pantry. Wouldn't it be nice if our stomach said,  "Hey! Put down the Dr. Pepper and Cheetos and grab a handful of almonds, a banana and a glass of milk. There. Craving over and you can still button your jeans tomorrow."

 My body needed: 
1. Magnesium (vitamin B6): After a long day at the office, mommy/daddy errands and
various extra carricular activites can leave us physically and emotionally drained- making careless dietary choices through out the day.  Unfortunately, our adult bodies can't keep up with the extra stress and calories like they could when we were in our teens and twenties. What we need is a metabolism booster... and that's where B6 comes in to help us out! An average adult needs 100/mg per day to supplement our bodies, thus burning, say, those extra dumb food decisions. Magnesium does double duty for yours truly. Studies prove that B6 acts as a histamine reducer for those of us who are used to getting those histamine induced headaches; like sinus headaches and migraines. Sure, I'm B-6ed up and still get migraines... but they have significantly decreased and only tend to flare up around Yankee Candle or my menstrual cycle... and you can't fight hormones! You can also get B6 by eating more fish, whole grains and legumes. 
2. Calcium  (vitamin D): Well, duh! I am a woman... and ALL women should be taking 800-1200mgs of calcium... unless, of course, you are already ingesting 4-5 cups of milk or yogurt per day? If not, start taking a supplement. Other than reducing the risk of osteoporosis, calcium is excellent for alleviating PMS symptoms and lowering blood pressure.  
3. Riboflavin (vitamin B-2): The energy pill. B-2 is, yet, another common deficiency among humans. Why? Well... we pee it out. The average adult urinates 5-8 times per day and loses 1.0 mg each time. We lose even more B2 when we wipe! (No, don't stop wiping. Gross.) Going to enjoy a night of excessive alcoholic frivolity? Say buh-bye to your B-2 and your energy! Interestingly, though, B6 (magnesium) is found to help with hangovers... and morning sickness.  Good to know, right? You may be able to determine, without a lab, if your body is craving this nutrient. Do your lips crack regularly? Mouth ulcers? Dry skin? Low, low energy?  Grab some B2... or a banana, green beans or some popcorn.
4. FLINTSTONES: That's right, I needed a multi-vitamin. We all do. The problem with those big horse-pills and me is that they kill my stomach. Blah. So I chew up two Flintstones (or whatever generic equivalent is on sale) per day. They don't jack my stomach and they take me back to an age when my biggest concerns were missing an episode of Jem and Holograms and Thundercats. 
Flat Belly? Yes, please! Dr. Pagan also recommended that I try the "Flat Belly Diet." He said that it is the ideal diet for new (and not-so-new) moms. Technically, I was still a new mom- my youngest daughter was two and my baby weight wasn't going anywhere! So, when I saw those pictures of me from my girlfriend's wedding... I ordered the bright yellow "Flat Belly Diet" that day! The FBD is more of a lifestyle change than a diet. It makes you re-think food and the way you eat... and I am 50lbs lighter because of it. One of the things the FBD recommends is flaxseed. Whole flaxseeds can be tricky to store, expensive to purchase and difficult to find! So... I went supplement.
5. Flaxseed oil:  The anti-fat. The essential fats in flaxseed oil make your body feel fuller, longer. Adding flax oil helps release food into your lower intestine at a slower pace, with a slow sustained rise in blood sugar, followed by a plateau of blood sugar. In other words, folks who add flaxseed oil to their diet plans will ingest fewer calories than those who do not use flax. Other flaxseed oil benefits include heart healthy Omega 3's and circulatory system kick-starters!  It's win/win! 
Currently, my girlfriend with the fat finding photographer is latex-deep into Kent State's nursing program. At this same time last year, she was in a comprehensive nutrition course. Among other nutrients the body needs for metabolism, her teacher mentioned cinnamon. Cinnamon? As a supplement? Really? So, I gave it a try... and I will NEVER go a day without them!

6. Cinnamon: Such an awesome, natural, discovery! Other than it's cholesterol lowering, arthritis soothing, natural insulin making, cancer fighting and cognitive brain functioning powers, cinnamon is an excellent metabolism bootster! A recent National Institute of Health Study showed how insulin directly stimulates fat cells to take in glucose, thus helping to burn fat. Nice!
Dieting During the Dot. PMS is pure torture... let alone when you are dieting! PMSing is an inevitable monthly thing, ladies! Lord knows that a week before my period, I am tired, puffy, irritable and I am HUNGRY! I just want to stuff my face with all kinds of sweet and salty, dense carbohydrate ridden crap, so, dieting can be a real pain in the you-know-what. Lucky for us, a woman's metabolic rate can rise by 10% during menstruation, thus helping us burn an extra 100-200 calories per day. If you can keep your diet somewhat in check during the dot, you will be fine a week later. You ay have to write some apology notes for your mood ridden bitchiness, but, I may have a buffer for that?

*Glucomannan is worthless. Don't waste your $
7. St Johns Wort: The anti-bitch pill. And why shouldn't I bitch? I have cramps, a headache, I can't button my jeans, my skin is gross, I'm tired, my back is killing me AND I am HUNGRY! The other problem is that I feel bad for my husband and kids. Nobody should have to deal with MOMZILLA. In lieu of locking myself in my cave and becoming scarce for a week, this magic pill helps tame the bitchy beast.  St. Johns Wort is known as "natures Prozac" and is taken to naturally treat depression, anxiety and other mood disorders. Another PMS reliever is Evening Primrose Oil, but, I tried that and didn't get the same results that I do with da' Wort. If you are already taking an antidepressant, please, talk to your doctor FIRST before trying this herb.




Now, now... I know that you are thinking, "Damn, Kertney! That's a lot of !@##@$% to take!" Yes. But you may not need all of this?

My advice is to start with blood work. Ask your doctor to see what YOUR body is craving. If you get migraines, cramps, dry skin, cracked lips, thinning nails and hair, etc... chances are that YOUR body is lacking a few things? If you decide to try any of the above supplements, be sure to give your doctor a heads up; ESPECIALLY if you are on any medications for diabetes, depression and/or cholesterol. Also, consider buying your supplements from a reputable company online. I love Puritans Pride. They have so many buy one get two free deals, it will make your head spin. For example, I got three months worth of my everyday supplements INCLUDING my children's gummy vitamins for $42. Shipping was FREE! Hello!? Just try doing that at CVS or Rite Aid. Not gonna happen!

Also, take a look at my newest information about fat and the 10 Reasons Why?  It breaks down the things that may not be working for you in the world of weight loss: Real, scientific, tangible things about how the body reacts to stress and hormones, for example, and the deal breakers involved nutritionally. It does talk about supplements and the need to talk to a professional.

After I got my supplements in check and my diet kick-started, I decided to start exercising. Losing weight has a yin and yang: good nutrition and more movement. I decided to go with Zumba. I was a musical theatre/ club scene gal before the baby making days.  If you want to burn fat and have a little fun during your cardio session, Zumba is a good option.  Mixxed Fit is another great option. One is more latin flavored the other is hip hop. I am preferring Mixxed Fit lately. According to my Fitbit, an hour of intense, full-out movement, burns between 300-500 calories. Score! I love wailing on a heavy bag, too. My MMA classes are by far the best- you are working every inch of your body- core especially- and you are learning how to defend yourself. Win/win.

Part III: ZUMBA! 
Part I: "Lose your fat." 

No comments:

Post a Comment