Friday, August 26, 2011

WTF? Oca Potatoes

SAY 'O'KAY to OCA POTATOES

Ugly little buggers, aren't they? I came across these starchy, rosy thingamabobs in Giant Eagle's Market District produce dept. They were DARING me to prepare them...  so I met the challenge! Mind you, I have never EVER seen or heard of "Oca Potatoes," so I was somewhat reluctant to try them. These bizarre little gems proved to be sweet and delicious and super easy to prepare!

Oca Potatoes a.k.a. New Zealand Yams or "Papa Roja" are grown in Mexico and the Andes. Oca's come in 3 different colors, (purple, yellow and rose)  and tend to get sweeter when they are yellow and left longer in the sun. An excellent source of calcium and fiber, Oca potatoes are a super versatile tuber and are delicious raw or cooked. You can boil them, fry them, throw them into a salad for some crunch... you name it! I prepared my Oca's boiled and broiled.

Prep: After washing them and cutting out some of the blemished areas, I dropped them in, unskinned, with my other potatoes, in the boiling pot of water and chicken bouillon. I reserved some, however, thinly sliced them and placed the slices on a prepared baking sheet with dark agave nectar, galic salt, chili flakes, salt and pepper. I put those under a low temperature broiler for 10 minutes.

Thumbs up or Down:  "WOW" is all I can say! I give this root veggie TWO thumbs up, and so does my husband... who is a potato purist! If you are looking for a little something to 'liven' up your carb cravings, Oca's will do the trick!  Oca's made my regular potatoes sweeter and more hearty. I noticed my children enjoying their mashed potatoes more (personal victory) probably because of their sweetness? The sweet and zesty broiled/crispy oca's gave an extra crunch to my green beans! The price is a little daunting, though. Remember, Oca's are imported and they cost more...  $6.99/ lb. Ouch!  But, I reccomend doing what I did and incorperating them into something, so you don't have to buy a pound or two. They are an EXCELLENT conversation piece and will leave your dinner company impressed and enlightened!

Challenge yourself to try something different!

No comments:

Post a Comment