Tuesday, July 19, 2011

WTF Introduces: PITAYA. a.k.a. DRAGON FRUIT

This little pink gem is an intersting thing for a westerner to behold. It's flame-like outer shell can really intimidate the average shopper- let alone it's nick name! Cut it open, however, and you'll realize how tame and humble this dragon can be. No fire breathing, I promise. This particular fruit can even be manipulated to taste like whatever you want. Good dragon... fruit.

Is that 'white kiwi?" A common misconception that I've heard uttered a few times, but, it does look much like kiwi fruit. Besides, isn't 'white kiwi' an endangered bird?  Anyway, dragon fruit has the same seedy texture as it's little furry cousin (not feathery) but with a completely different taste. In fact, I would be hard pressed to say that dragon fruit has any taste at all. It is humbly sweet and has a muted honeydew melon-like flavor. It can easily be manipulated into any fruit dish and holds flavor well. It is delicious when paired with melon, mint and agave nectar... not to mention brilliant to look at. Who would have thought that with such a menacing exterior, the dragon fruit could have such a radiant interior?  Maybe it's that huge white flower it hails from?
Pitaya cactus can be found, now, all over the country. They were originally introduced to us by South America, Central America and Mexico. The cactus is as intersting to look at as it's fruit. I guess it's true what they say: The dragon fruit doesn't fall far from the cactus. (Am I funny, or what?) Pitaya is also nutrient rich and very, very easy to prepare. When ripe, and it needs to be ripe, it's skin peels as easily as a banana.

Thumbs UP or DOWN? Up... but with reservations. Dragon fruit is an interesting discussion food, that's for sure! Personally, I like it. I think it has a nice taste and it is super easy to work with! My only gripe is it's 6.99/lb price tag. So... I would reccomend this fruit much like I reccomended it's dragon tongue bean cousin; Buy it to impress company and make a visual statement. If you have never experienced Pitaya, by all means, pick one up and give-it-a-go! Other than that... I think you can leave the dragon in it's cave.  
  
   

1 comment:

  1. I used to live in Nicaragua, and their "pitahaya" is PURPLE and very sweet! They make ice cream and juice from it, but watch out! It'll stain your clothes if you're not careful!
    I tried the white kind once and was so disappointed. Not good at all in comparison!

    ReplyDelete