Tuesday, March 25, 2014

G-Free: Crack Brownies

"Gluten free shouldn't taste this good." -My big, picky, construction worker husband

Why the gluten free-ness, you ask? Well, I'm noticing a difference in my migraine tolerance (less frequent/less powerful head issues) and my kangaroo pouch. My gut is getting smaller. I'm not phasing out wheat completely, though. I don't have celiac's, after all, and I'm no Epi pen candidate, but, I'm scaling way, waaaay back on the processed wheat/sugar crap. I was looking on the interwebs to find SOMETHING that everyone in the Kertney household could enjoy. I found a rather involved recipe, made it, and noticed that it was missing a few things in the, "taste good" department. I simplified it, kept it relatively healthy, and I'll be damned if I don't crave them. Besides, if my husband likes them (and he's a brownie purist), then I know it's a winner. My kids, on the other hand, aren't big fans, but, I'm fine with that. More for me! 


G-Free Crack Brownies

Yields 12-18 squares (depending on your slices)

Prepare a square brownie pan with parchment paper or saran wrap. Line the whole thing with it. 

For the bottom brownie part, in a food processor, add:

1/2 cup whole pecans 
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped dates, preferably unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 heaping tbsp coco or cacao powder  
2/3 cup almond meal 
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted


Blend the pecans first, then the dates. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together until it makes a nice, Playdoh-like, consistency. Add to your lined brownie pan. Press your dark brownie dough, evenly, around the pan.  Step two... 

For the cookie dough , in a mixing bowl or KitchenAid, add: 

1 cup Almond Meal
1 cup Coconut powder 
1/3 cup raw coconut flakes
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted coconut oil 
Dark Chocolate chips (you choose how much. I'd say 1/2 cup +) 

Blend all of these ingredients together and add it to the brownie pan, on top of your brownie concoction. When it is evenly distributed, cover the pan and refrigerate it for a few hours. Slice them into squares, and nom, nom, nom... 

If you like chocolate and coconut, this is the brownie for you, my friend. A brownie that you don't have to feel bad about eating... EVER!  

PS: I'd keep them refrigerated. They taste better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment