Monday, March 26, 2012

My 427 Calorie "GO TO" Lunch: Zesty Avocado Turkey Sammy with Feta & Hummus and Baked S&V Chippys

Sounds pretty tasty, right? Bet your bottom it is! If you are like me and happen to think that avocados are the most delicious things on the planet and you are trying to shed some extra poundage, then you're gonna LOVE this! And...

Avocados are considered the perfect food; Filled with over 20 vitamins and minerals, fiber and (most importantly) monounsaturated fatty acids that make you feel fuller, longer! True story.

This recipe requires you to find a few different ingredients, but, they are versatile and wallet-n-waist friendly.

Zesty Avocado and Turkey Sammy:

2 slices of toasted 100% wheat bread
4oz Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
1/2 Avocado
1/2 tsp lemon juice (a lemon wedge will do)
1 tsp Tajin Seasoning
1/4 cup Feta Cheese
1tbsp of Sabra's Roasted Garlic Hummus
1 handful of lettuce

The only preparation you must do is with the avocado, everything else is pre-prepared. SCORE!

Be sure to purchase a ripe avocado... not too green and not too black. Half your avocado and scoop it out of the shell and place it in a plate. Slice it. Add your lemon juice and Tajin. Tajin is a Mexican lime and chile spice. Not spicy but very, very zesty. I love it! My neighbor introduced me to Tajin. You can find it at WalMart. Check out my W.T.F. "Tajin" for another delicious recipe.

Pop your bread out of the toaster and smear on your hummus. I use Sabra Garlic Hummus because it is THE BEST store bought hummus you can find. If you like another brand of hummus or flavor, go for it. Next add your turkey, lettuce feta and prepared avocado slices. And VOILA! Done!

If you miss chips next to your sandwich, fear not! I have found Target's Archer Farms brand of baked salt and vinegar chips. They are delicious and lower in sodium and calories. Actually, ALL of Archer Farms chips are excellent. They even have a Spring Roll Wheat chip (kind of like a Sun Chip) which was outstanding. My husband even liked them- and he's a chip purist! Another awesome brand of figure friendly chips are Terra Chips- made with real veggies. Can't go wrong with the Taro Root crisps. Yummy! I find them at Big Lots, of all places! You can get them at WalMart, but they are more expensive there. I pay 1.75/ 8oz bag at Big Lots vs $3.00 at WallyWorld.

Healthy food doesn't have to taste like it, folks! And according to the last report I just watched about lunchtime being the fattiest meal of the day, this sandwich will prove Dr. Oz WRONG! Don't quote me on the 427 calories. I'm no nutritionist, but, I've done the math. I've also been improvising these low calorie meals for three years and I have lost 50lbs and still eat like a fiend- I just make better decisions.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment